Wednesday 24 October 2012

My Journey

At age 12 I thought being successful ,meant having a rich husband, who owns a car and takes the family out on weekends.
I then grew to realise that being successful meant earning and working hard for what you own, as a kid who grew up in a single parent home I would sometimes question why some kids are in the back seat of a a family car with parents infront while I am peacefully seated in a taxi with my mom.
Looking at those kids be it white, black or coloure, I would be so interested in knowing their daily routines, I would go as far as eavesdropping on their conversations as my mom held my hand on our way to the Michelles Plain taxi rank.
A few years later I have grown to realise the important things in life. I know the love of a mother even though we spent some years in a shack she still took me out for Fish n Chips and Ice cream even when she had a Somalian as an Employer.
Some would call that poverty but I call it Love.
I just cannot describe the love she has given to me!
I know what it feels like to sleep alone at night and listen to gangster robbing a person just outside your home. I have grown with all that.
Back to success.. I grew to understand that not all ,arried couples are happy.. and I dont know all this by eavesdropping on conversations.
Even though I am still working hard to being a financially independent woman, I still want a rich husband I am sorry but poverty is not attractive to me.
I still want kids on the back seat of the car but this time I WILL BE ON THE DRIVING SEAT.
Poverty is not sexy and I do not wish it upon anyone, My point is; I may be working hard for everything I want but I still have those childhood dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment